Saturday 15 October 2016

'73 Suzuki GT250 - Part 2 - Mount for '87-90 Honda CR250 rear fender

Some of you might caught your eye to the small piece of flat bar welded to the rear part of this bike's frame. I made that bar to work as a support bracket for the rear fender I bought. For a while a had search for a proper rear fender. I started by going trough a catalog of Ufo Plast plastics. Rear fender for '87-90 Honda CR 125/250 (UFO-HO02601061) caught my eye and seemed like an easy fit since it required two pieces. I contacted few persons who were selling subframes for '87 Honda CR 250 on eBay and asked some key measurements. Luckily dimensions matched and I ended up ordering one from my local motorcycle parts store.

'87-90 Honda CR 125/250 rear fender
made by Ufo Plast (UFO-HO02601061)

Once it arrived I started making a support bracket for it. I made a simple template out of wood and bent a short piece of flat bar against it. I chose to use flat bar since it is pretty easy to bend just by hand. Even with mild steel there's always a little bit of spring back so you have compensate it by overbending. Once I had a rough shape I cut it to right angle with an angle grinder and welded it to the frame.

Piece of flat bar bent to shape and welded to the frame.

From a different angle. 

Last thing to do was to drill holes for fasteners and tack a pair of hexagon weld nuts on the bottom of the bracket. I chose to use M8 sized ones since I had them in stock. I still need to drill holes to both sides of the rear fender, but I will do that later.

Pair of M8 sized hexagon weld nuts.

Tightened in place with hex screws and ready for welding.

Underside view.

Hexagon weld nut tack welded.

Top view of finished rear fender mount.

Rear fender on.

Underside view.

From another angle.


No comments:

Post a Comment