Saturday 8 October 2016

'73 Suzuki GT250 - Part 1 - Something different

I have always liked the look of vintage motocross bikes and been wanting to own one. Especially ones with twinshocks have always appealed to me. 

The idea of building one out of a GT 250 might sound crazy and have little sense but sometimes you're just forced to use what you got. I've owned this bike for a while now. I've also slowly been collecting parts for it. First idea was to build a vintage motocross bike styled supermoto out of it, which would have been great for street use, but I ended up scrapping that idea because it would have been a bit too expensive. So instead I decided to go with vintage MX style look.

I will try to build this bike with a smaller budget. I will mainly use second hand parts for it in exception of parts which will wear I will replace. Front forks and engine will remain stock but I will build a custom exhaust for it. Swingarm is from '79 Suzuki RM250 and tank from Yamaha MX 400 (if I'm correct). Front wheel will naturally be 1.60-21" and rear wheel 1.85-18". Front hub will stay stock and rear hub is coming from '79 RM125. I will get new laces made for them. Custom parts like seat, inner rear fender and airbox I will need to fabricate myself.

'73 GT250 frame and pile of vintage MX parts.

Stripped and cleaned frame.

I will finish this post with a video of Iain Clark's '74 Maico 400 made by Chris Montignani, which has inspired me a lot regarding this project. There are a lot videos of cool vintage MX bikes on Chris' channel so go and check them out also.


No comments:

Post a Comment