Saturday 18 April 2015

T500 swingarm swap - Suzuki T250J

I was already planning to fabricate a longer swingarm to my Suzuki until I came across a T500 project thread in dotheton.com which displayed a T500 swingarm and started to wonder if one would fit to my T250. 

I started comparing part numbers from T500 and T250 swingarm and rear wheel parts lists and realized that most of the bushings and spacers for swingarm axles were same. Part numbers for different rear wheel parts seemed to match as well.

I made a want to by add for T500 swingarm to our local Finnish veteran motorcycle website/forum and quickly came by one. Same guy who sold me the GT250 fuel tank had one for sale. He also recommended that I buy a rear brake cable as well since it's a bit longer in T500 than T250.

Suzuki T500 swingarm and axle,
rear brake cable and oil tank.

Comparison of T500 and T250 swingarms.

Overall length of T250's swingarm is approximately 385 mm and T500's 505 mm (axle to axle). Width of both axle's fastening points are same in both swingarms (182 mm for swingarm axle with bushings in place and 195 mm for rear wheel axle (inner dimension)). Fastening point in frame is 190 mm wide (inner dimension).

Comparison of T500 (upper) and T250 brake cables and swingarm axles.

T500's rear brake cable's housing is 445 mm long and T250's 310 mm. Both swingarm axles are 14 mm thick. T500's axle is 249 mm long and T250's 225 mm. Threads are 25 mm long in both axles.

Fastening points for rear shocks in T500 swingarm are a bit wider than the ones in T250 frame (224 mm vs 208 mm) so I had to turn couple of spacers to get rear shocks lined. Other than that swingarm fitted right in place.

Dimensions for spacers,...

...turned,...

... and in place.

Rear shock installed.

Closer side view.

Overall side view of my Suzuki T250 with T500 swingarm and oil tank.
Fuel tank and seat are from GT250.

9 comments:

  1. Hej Marko!
    Have just received a T500 swing for my GT250 after having read your blog. Will fit it ASAP.
    Lars, Eskilstuna Sverige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lars!
      Nice to know. Thanks for the comment.
      I just bought a project GT250 also. I will receive it tomorrow and hopefully make a post about it later. I'm planning on switching a GT500/T500 swingarm for it also.
      Marko

      Delete
  2. Have you checked rear shock length yet? Seems like 330-335mm will be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right about that.

    I just received another T500 swingarm which is for my GT250 project. I'm going to service front forks for it first so that I can figure out the right stance and correct chainline. I'm still waiting parts for them at the moment. I'm going to raise the rear suspension a bit. I'm probably going to use Betor shocks. They are 300-370 mm long.

    I want to keep my T250 as low as possible so I'm using those GT550 shocks which you can see in the pictures. I'm keeping the rear end short. I might make a small aluminum fender for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is mine at present with original 300mm shocks: http://www.soderquist.se/cafetrack.jpg
    Also looked at Betor but bought NOS Red Wing. Just ordered a pair of 340mm that leaves 5mm before the swing touches the frame exhaust mount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice looking project. That T500 fuel tank looks good with cafe seat.

      Please take a picture with 340 mm shocks when get them if you can.

      Delete
  5. This is a snapshot of the mockup: http://soderquist.se/ank.jpg .
    DG RD400 expansion chambers, will not be very effective due to large diameter header. Had to cut centerstand fittings to make it fit. Tail of seat adjusted with MS-Paint. Mitas 4.00-18 in front, will use the same as rear. Dragbar. East German 2.15 alu rims to be used, seen behind. Cylindrical oil tank will be hanging under seat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can anyone advise on the sequence of installation of T250 swingarm bushes.
    Please reply to Firbob55@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete