Sunday 27 August 2023

Throwback - *EX* '91 Solifer-Suzuki S1

Here's some story and info of my first own two-wheeled vehicle that got me interested and started with my hobby of modifying mopeds and motorcycles. In Finland you're allowed to drive 50 cc mopeds (max. speed 45 km/h) when you turn 15 years old and pass a licence for it. Back in the day driving licence for mopeds required a theory test. Novadays you also have to proof that you can handle and drive according to traffic rules in practice. 

I don't remember exactly when my father bought and picked up this moped for me but it happened before I turned 15 years old and passed my licence. I remember this moped being fairly worn out when I got it but still in running and mostly functional condition. My father had taken few pieces of the moped to make it easier to transport so I ended stripping the whole bike before even test driving it. 

Through to years of my owneship moped saw few different forms. At first I painted frame with silver color you see on the swingarm and front forks and fairings and fuel tank with dark metallic blue. Plastic fuel tanks seemed like impossible to paint because fumes of the fuel pass through the plastic and paint starts to bubble. Because of that I ended up removing old paint from fuel tank and just sanded and polished the plastic surface and switching to black/white/silver/gold color scheme. For a long time I tried to find a black fuel tank but didn't come across any. Pictures you see below are from final form of my build from 2012 before I ended up selling it like many others to free some space for other new projects.

List of modifications:

- Electrical system changed to 12V with voltage regulator out of a snow mobile

- battery, voltage gauge, turn signals added to electrical system

- Metrakit Thrower silencer with modified Pro Sport middle pipe

- Stage 2 air cleaner

- Helkama AX50 front fork, wheel and brake

- Helkama AX50 aluminium rear rim

- Renthal handlebar

- Polisport headlight, front fender and hand guards

- holders for gauges and battery, engine protection plate and licence plate holder made out of stainless steel sheet








I will write a similar story of '92 Kawasaki KDX125SR later down the line. Keep an eye on that one 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment