Sunday 13 September 2015

Red LED taillight underneath the seat - Suzuki T250J

I purchased a red LED taillight a while ago from ebay. Taillight came with two M4x40 screws, washers and nuts. I had a clear one in my Kawasaki KDX 125 back in the day.

I was going buy a Bates style taillight and mount it to the rear fender but decided to go with this one since they seem to be quite popular these days and I wanted something different. I decided to mount it between the rear fender and seat.

Red LED taillight from ebay.
Back side.
I started by disassembling the seat. Seat cover was attached with a strip to the seat pan. Strip was easy to remove by simply pulling it although you had to be careful not to tear the seat cover with the clips in the strip. 

Disassembled Suzuki GT 250 seat.
Once I removed the foam off the seat pan I drilled two 11 mm holes to the rear end of it. I then welded two hex weld nuts around them with my MAG welder.


I ground the hex weld nuts flat before welding them.
I fastened the weld nut with a screw to keep it in position
while welding. Lip helped with the positioning.
Hex weld nuts welded in place.
Next step was to make a suitable bracket for the taillight. I decided to use 2 mm stainless steel sheet as a material. I used two M8x16 socket head cap screws to mount the bracket underneath the seat. I replaced the two M4x40 screws which came with the taillight since they were a bit too long with two M4x35 socket head cap screws.

Stainless steel brackets and fasteners.
Measurements for the taillight bracket.
Test fitting.
Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment