Saturday 5 November 2016

'73 Suzuki GT250 - Part 5 - '79-80 RM/PE 250 swingarm swap

Here's first part of fitting '79 RM 250 swingarm to my '73 GT250, which at the end was a pretty easy task. Hardest part was to find all the necessary bushings for it since I didn't want to lathe them myself. I started by ordering a pair of new old stock swingarm pivot bushings (61261-40402) from eBay, which I knew I was going to need. 

Pair of Suzuki swingarm pivot bushings (61261-40402).

Next step was to find proper bushings inside the pivot bushings and bearings. After a bit of googling I came across a Kymco scooter speed up kit made by Naraku (NK800.04). Since I knew I needed bushings with 14 mm inner diameter and 20 mm outer diameter, that kit seemed like a perfect match and I ended  up ordering a pair of them. They are approximately 38 mm long (37.94 mm to be exact) so I needed a spacer which would keep them a part. I ended up lathing 113 mm long spacer out of 19 x 1.50 mm steel pipe.

Pair of Naraku Speed Up kits (14 x 20 x 38 mm) for Kymco
(NK800.04).

Lathed spacer (19 x 1.50 x 113 mm).

Once I knew how long all the bushings were I could order proper sized needle roller bearings from eBay. I decided to go with IKO TA2025Z, which are 20 x 27 x 25 mm and have open ends.

(3) Pair of IKO TA2025Z needle roller bearings with open ends
(20 x 27 x 25 mm).

Stock GT250 swingarm axle and all the new parts.

Test fitting.

I had to narrow the swingarm a bit so it would fit better with the frame and bushings. I took a bit of material out of both sides of the swingarm with a file and a sanding block. I also made the swingarm a bit narrower than the inner bushings. With a bit of clearance the swingarm swings smoothly once the swingarm axle is tightened. 






In the second part of the swingarm installation I will cover how to fit rear shock absorbers and modify their upper mounting points. But before that I have to refurbish front forks and fit them to the bike. By doing so I can check the stance and figure out how long rear shocks I need to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment