Tuesday 27 September 2016

Yamaha RD 350 F2 '88 - Part 6 - New rear wheel bearings, seals, X-ring chain and sprockets

While maintaining rear linkage for my RD350 I went and replaced worn out sprockets and chain. The old chain had strained quite a lot during its life time and it was already tightened to its max position. One option would have been to just shorten it but since the old rear sprocket was also in pretty bad condition I decided it was best to just replace all those parts. 

I ended up choosing sprockets made by JT Sprockets and a X-ring chain made by D.I.D. I went with 17 tooth front and 39 tooth rear sprockets. Since the chain needed to be riveted I had to buy a chain breaking and riveting tool also made by D.I.D. There were two types of tools for sale. I bought the cheaper one, which had "02-99" stamped on the side of it. While riveting the chain I found the lower jaw of the tool bending and had to make a cotter out of flat bar to stop it.

I also decided to replace rear wheel bearings while I had the rear wheel out of the bike. I bought a kit which also included right sized oil seal (22 x 42 x 7 mm). I used a gas torch to heat up and expand both bearing hubs in the rear wheel to get the old bearings out and to install the new ones. Depending on the condition (rusty) of the bearings you might need give them a small knock. If you have painted your wheels you might need to use another solution. If you don't have proper tools for the job, there's a lot of shops, which can do it for you. 

Unfortunately I forgot to buy a new bearing (6304) for the sprocket carrier and since it was Sunday and all the shops were closed when I was doing all of this in a hurry to get the bike finished I just ended up greasing the old bearing and replacing worn oil seal with a new one (32 x 52 x 7 mm).

To sum all up here's a list of all parts needed for the job:

-Tourmax rear wheel bearing and seal kit (MCI-WBK-055) 
 or two 6302 bearings (15 x 42 x 13 mm) and oil seal (22 x 42 x 7 mm)
-Oil seal for sprocket carrier (32 x 52 x 7 mm)
-6304 bearing for sprocket carrier (20 x 52 x 15 mm)
-JT Sprockets 17 tooth front sprocket (JTF569.17)
-JT Sprockets 39 tooth rear sprocket (JTR846.39)
-D.I.D 520 VX2 X-ring chain with 106 links
-D.I.D chain breaking and riveting tool (02-99)

There's also one O-ring (93210-40530) in the rear wheel you might need to replace. Since mine was in good condition I just ended up greasing it.

Tourmax rear wheel bearing and seal kit (MCI-WBK-055)
and collar (90387-154A0).

Rear wheel (black) and sprocket carrier (blue) oil seals

Front and rear JT sprockets and D.I.D 520 VX2 X-ring chain.

D.I.D chain breaking and riveting tool.

Parts of the tool... 
...and instructions for it.

Cotter kept lower jaw from bending.

Bearings and other hardware removed...

...and new parts installed.

New rear sprocket and oil seal installed.

X-ring chain riveted and tightened.

6 comments:

  1. You wouldn't happen to know the length of the Yamaha RD350 rear wheel collar (90387-154A0)? The guy who I bought my bike from cut his in half for some reason :(

    Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I sold my RD couple of years ago and didn't measure that collar while I had it so I can't help you on this one. If I were you I'd try either to find someone who has one for sale (ebay, forums, adds) or a similar project like mine on a forum like http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/. Br, Marko

      Delete
  2. Also, where does the O-Ring get installed on the rear wheel? I'm in Canada and we have the same models you guys do and I can only find US information and they have a different rear wheel... no O-Ring... thx again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember right the O-ring goes around the bearing housing (picture 8 & 9 on the left) where there's a groove for it and seals against the inner side of the gear shield (opposite side on picture 10). Hope that information helps.

      Delete
  3. That's exactly what I needed on the O-Ring... thanks!! I'm on the rzrd forum and posted there... I expect a response as it's a pretty good community. Now I just wish I could find a gas tank that doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg :(

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope you get it fixed soon and on the road again!

      Delete